Demonstrations in the US and in Palestine demanded freedom for Khalida Jarrar, imprisoned Palestinian parliamentarian, leftist political leader and feminist.
On Monday, April 6, the Red Student Faction at the University of New Mexico held a protest in Albuquerque, NM, US, calling for freedom for Khalida Jarrar and all Palestinian political prisoners:
And in Gaza, on April 6, the National and Islamic Forces held a protest at the International Committee of the Red Cross, demanding freedom for Khalida Jarrar and all Palestinian prisoners, with attendees carrying posters and banners calling for the prisoners’ liberation. Speakers included Dr. Mariam Abu Daqqa, member of the Political Bureau of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and a former political prisoner, who said “We have come out today to support the prisoners’ movement who will struggle and resist…who prove that the statements of the Zionists that they are captives is false. The will and the minds of the Palestinian prisoners are free.”
She demanded an end to Palestinian Authority security coordination with Israel, calling for the implementation of PLO Central Council resolutions to end all such coordination, and urged that Palestinian embassies around the world must end their silence on the issue of Palestinian prisoners and instead work to free them and build international support. Mustafa Maslamani, a former prisoner, spoke about the current situation of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails, including the escalating attacks and violence against prisoners perpetrated by guards and security forces. Photos:
Also, in Ramallah, on April 7, the General Union of Palestinian Women protested outside the International Committee of the Red Cross, demanding freedom for Jarrar and all Palestinian prisoners, and announcing activities for the upcoming Palestinian Prisoners’ Day, April 17:
For more information about the case of Khalida Jarrar, please see http://samidoun.net/khalidajarrar
Take Action to support Khalida Jarrar:
1. Click here: Send a message to the Israeli Occupation Forces and demand the immediate release of Khalida Jarrar.It is important that the occupation learns that Khalida has supporters around the world who will not be silent in the face of this injustice.
2. Sign the petition! Sign and share this petition, demanding freedom for Khalida Jarrar immediately.
3. Contact your Member of Parliament, Representative, or Member of European Parliament. The attack on Khalida is an attack on Palestinian parliamentary legitimacy and political expression. Parliamentarians have a responsibility to pressure Israel to cancel this order.
4. Send a letter to Khalida Jarrar – help support her and show her jailers that the world is with her!
5. Use the Campaign Resources to inform your community, parliamentarians and others about Khalida’s case.
6. Protest at the Israeli consulate or embassy for Khalida Jarrar. Bring posters and flyers about Khalida’s case and hold a protest, or join a protest with this important information. Hold a community event or discussion, or include Khalida’s case in your next event about Palestine and social justice.
7. Boycott, Divest and Sanction. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation. Learn more at bdsmovement.net.