Four Palestinian prisoners are continuing their hunger strikes in Israeli jails; three of them are demanding their release from administrative detention, imprisonment without charge or trial, and the other is protesting his conditions of confinement.

Bilal Diab, former long-term hunger striker from Kafr Ra’i near Jenin, has been on hunger strike for 20 days. He was transferred on Wednesday, 1 November from Ashkelon prison to Ohli Kedar prison, the second transfer since he began his hunger strike. Prison transfers are physically exhausting and arduous and are especially difficult for hunger striking Palestiian prisoners. Diab, 32, previously conducted a 78-day hunger strike with Thaer Halahleh in 2012. Seized again by Israeli forces on 14 July 2017, his appeal against his imprisonment without charge or trial was denied on 17 October, prompting him to launch his hunger strike.

He joined Hassan Shokeh, 29, from Bethlehem, on his 24th day of hunger strike against his own imprisonment without charge or trial. Shokeh was seized again by occupation forces in late September, less than one month after he was released from Israeli prison on 31 August, and ordered imprisoned without charge or trial.

Also on hunger strike is Hamza Bouzia of Salfit, held without charge or trial under administrative detention. He has been refusing food for 17 days to demand his release from imprisonment. Musab Sa’id, an imprisoned jounralist from Ramallah, is also on hunger strike for the ninth day, in protest of his conditions of confinement and the denial of his transfer.

Sheikh Khader Adnan, former long-term hunger striker, said that the hunger strikers are engaged in a battle of freedom and dignity that challenges the occupation. He said that Diab told him in a letter that he will not accept less than freedom. He urged greater action to support the hunger strikers and work to end their suffering, emphasizing that the hunger strike is a tool of action for the Palestinian prisoners’ movement.