- This event has passed.
Online Event: ONGOING NAKBA AT 73: Palestinians Demand Right of Return
May 15 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
The Palestinian Return Centre will be hosting ‘Ongoing Nakba at 73: Palestinians Demand Right of Return’ to commemorate the Nakba and to amplify the collective call for the Palestinian right of return.
– Richard Falk: Is a leading international law professor, prominent activist, prolific author, and a pioneer thinker dedicated to peace and justice. During forty years at Princeton University, Falk was active in seeking an end to the Vietnam war, a better understanding of Iran, a just solution for Palestine/Israel, and improved democracy elsewhere. He also served as UN Special Rapporteur for Occupied Palestine. Since 2009 he has been nominated annually for the Nobel Peace Prize.
– Randa Siniora: Is the General Director of the Women’s Center for Legal Aid and Counselling (WCLAC). She is a human rights and women’s rights activist with professional experience in the field of International Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for over 35 years. Previously, she was the Senior Executive Director of the Palestinian Independent Commission for Human Rights (ICHR) from 2007 to 2015 and the General Director of Al Haq, Law in the Service of Man (2001-2005). Previously she also headed the Networking and Advocacy at the WCLAC and worked as a Legal Researcher and Coordinator of the Women’s Rights Program at Al-Haq. (1987-1997). Randa Siniora was the first Palestinian woman ever to brief the UN Security Council on Women Peace and Security (WPS) in 2018. In 2019, she was selected among the 100 most influential people in gender policy around the world, one of the largest and most prominent global lists that was drawn from over 9,000 nominations to recognise and celebrate the hard work being done on gender policy by many around the world. Randa has an LLM in International Human Rights Law from the University of Essex/UK and an MA Degree in Sociology-Anthropology from the American University in Cairo.
– Saleh Hijazi: Is the Deputy Regional Director for MENA at Amnesty International and leads the work on Palestine/Israel. He has been with Amnesty since 2011. Prior to that he worked at Al-Quds University Human Rights Clinic and with Human Rights Watch. He holds a BA in liberal arts and a MA in human rights.
– Gerry Carroll: Is the People Before Profit MLA for West Belfast, who has represented the Belfast West constituency in the Northern Ireland Assembly since May 2016. Gerry has been an outspoken voice for Palestinian human rights and freedom throughout his time in politics.
– Suha Jarrar: Is a Senior Legal Research and Advocacy Officer with Al-Haq human rights organisation. Her research and advocacy cover a wide range of human rights violations committed against Palestinians. She holds a Masters of Science degree in Climate Change Science and Policy from the University of Sussex in the UK, and a double Bachelor of Arts degree in Gender and Environmental Studies from Trent University in Canada.”
– Sawsan: Is the UK Advocacy Officer for Defense for Children International Palestine.
This event is open to all, and will be live streamed via our Facebook page and via our Youtube channel.