The detention of Nariman Tamimi, the mother of Ahed Tamimi and an activist, human rights defender and land defender in Nabi Saleh, occupied Palestine, and Nour Tamimi, 21, Ahed’s cousin and also a leading organizer in the village’s popular resistance to Israeli colonization, settlement construction, land confiscation and mass arrests, has been extended until Monday, 25 December by an Israeli military court on Thursday, 21 December; the Ofer military court extended 16-year-old Ahed’s detention until Monday on 20 December. Bassem Tamimi, Nariman’s husband and Ahed’s father, reported the updates on his Facebook page:
The three Tamimi women are currently being held in HaSharon prison, with Ahed in one room and Nariman and Nour in another. Bassem Tamimi wrote that they are being held with Israeli “criminal” prisoners rather than in the rooms with their fellow Palestinian political prisoners in HaSharon; this is used as a tactic of intimidation and an attempt to force confessions, especially as Palestinians are at a high risk for racist abuse and violence.
Thousands of people around the world have responded to the detention of Ahed and the arrests of her family members after she was seized in a pre-dawn raid on the family home for protesting Israeli occupation soldiers’ shooting of her 14-year-old cousin, Mohammed Tamimi, with a rubber-coated metal bullet; Mohammed is hospitalized in critical condition. Ahed’s role in protesting occupation, colonization and apartheid from an early age has seen her become well-known around the world as a social justice activist along with the other members of her family.
People are mobilizing internationally for protests on Friday, 22 December, as well as Saturday, 23 December and participating in the global calls to action for the release of the Tamimi family, whose arrest and persecution epitomizes the ongoing Palestinian rootedness and resistance confronting the brutality, hatefulness and oppression of colonization and occupation.
- Join the call to action to #FreeAhedTamimi: Sign on to the collective call for action at the Google Form. Organize events and actions for 22 December and post photos and graphics on social media along with the hashtag, #FreeAhedTamimi.
- For supporters in the US: Call your member of the House of Representatives to support H.R. 4391, the Promoting Human Rights by Ending Israeli Military Detention of Palestinian Children Act. Tell them specifically about Ahed’s arrest, and urge them to act for her release. Click here to tell your member of Congress to support the bill. Tell them to pressure Israel to free Ahed and other detained Palestinian kids. Call the House switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to speak to your Representative’s office.
- For international supporters: Call your government officials and demand action for Ahed Tamimi and other Palestinian child prisoners, and freedom for Nariman Tamimi.Call your country’s officials urgently:
Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs Julie Bishop: + 61 2 6277 7500
Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland: +1-613-992-5234
European Union Commissioner Federica Mogherini: +32 (0) 2 29 53516
New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully: +64 4 439 8000
United Kingdom Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson: +44 20 7008 1500
United States President Donald Trump: 1-202-456-1111
- Call your nearest Israeli embassy and let them know that you know about the detention of Ahed Tamimi in Nabi Saleh and other Palestinian child prisoners. Demand Ahed, her mother Nariman, and the other detained children be immediately released. Contact infomation here: https://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-of/israel
- Join one of the many protests for Jerusalem and distribute this post and other news about Ahed and the Palestinian prisoners. Get others involved in the struggle for Palestinian freedom! Build the campaign for boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel and complicit corporations like HP and G4S.