NEW Twitter Storm and Social Media Campaign
Sunday, March 14
10 am Pacific – 1 pm Eastern – 6 pm central Europe – 7 pm Palestine
Use the hashtag: #Justice4ElHalabi
Tweets and Resources: https://bit.ly/justice4elhalabi
LAST TIME, your tweets alone reached 3.1 million people – and thousands of you participated. With Mohammed El-Halabi, Palestine’s “Humanitarian Hero,” facing a new unjust Israeli hearing this week, join us on Sunday, March 14 in a social media storm for #Justice4ElHalabi!
Mohammed El-Halabi is the former director of World Vision in Gaza. A Palestinian “humanitarian hero,” Mohammed El-Halabi, 42, was detained by Israel in 2016. In a widely promoted press campaign, El-Halabi was accused by Israeli officials of financing Hamas using funds from the charity. However, audits by World Vision and the Australian government found not only that there was no misuse of funds but that, further, the Israeli charges were fundamentally impossible — World Vision’s budget over multiple years never reached the sums of money cited by Israeli officials.
Join Just Peace Advocates, Canada Palestine Association, Palestine House and Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network in a social media storm on Sunday, March 14.
On March 16, 2021, Mohammed El-Halabi will face his 157th court hearing – postponed from the prior hearing on March 3. All of his hearings have taken place behind closed doors, and UN experts noted that el-Halabi’s “arrest, interrogation and trial is not worthy of a democratic state.” He refused a plea bargain after being warned by the judge in his case that he will likely be convicted and that, “You’ve read the numbers and the statistics,” the judge told el-Halabi, according to ABC. “You know how these issues are handled.” The plea bargain offer would have seen him imprisoned for three years. He has now been imprisoned without conviction for four and one-half years.
Mohammed El-Halabi is a protected person under international humanitarian law, yet he has been subjected to gross violations of his fundamental rights. Mohammed El-Halabi’s case has been used to intimidate international NGOs away from working in Gaza, further tightening the siege on over 2 million people living under daily Israeli siege, occupation and ongoing bombing raids — most of them refugees denied their right to return to their original homes and lands in Palestine. On Sunday, March 14, join us to demand #Justice4ElHalabi.
Get Sample Tweets, Images and More: https://bit.ly/justice4elhalabi
Below are a few sample tweets from the page above — just click the “Click to Tweet” link to send your message on Twitter!
- Tell the Canadian government – insist Israel immediately and unconditionally release Palestinian humanitarian hero Mohammed El-Halabi! #Justice4ElHalabi https://actionnetwork.org/letters/write-letter-to-canadian-government-urgent-action-for-mohammed-el-halabi-former-world-vision-director
- Palestinian World Vision Director was deprived from sleep, hung from the ceiling and tortured. His trial has been extended for four and a half years because he will not plead guilty as an innocent man. #Justice4ElHalabi https://www.un.org/unispal/document/gaza-aid-worker-must-be-given-fair-trial-or-released-say-un-experts-press-release/
- Mohammed El-Halabi’s five children have been deprived of their father for nearly five years because of Israeli injustice and persecution. Free him now! #Justice4ElHalabi https://electronicintifada.net/content/case-mohammad-el-halabi-and-rabbit-hole-israeli-justice/28161
- Stop the attack on Palestinian charity workers! End the siege on Gaza! #Justice4ElHalabi https://actionnetwork.org/letters/write-letter-to-canadian-government-urgent-action-for-mohammed-el-halabi-former-world-vision-director
- “For El-Halabi to hold out this long against the pressure of his Israeli torturers is an act of resistance to Israel’s occupation regime.” #Justice4ElHalabi https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200905-israel-secret-trials-to-detain-unconvicted-palestinian-charity-worker-on-bogus-charges/
- Israel is trying to shut down Palestinian humanitarian and human rights work. We stand with Mohammed El-Halabi — freedom now! #Justice4ElHalabi https://samidoun.net/2016/10/attacks-on-international-agencies-and-arrests-of-palestinian-aid-workers-part-of-systematic-israeli-assault/