Khalida Jarrar, imprisoned Palestinian parliamentarian and political leader, met on Sunday, April 19 with Palestinian lawyer Hanan al-Khatib of the Prisoners’ Affairs Committee, discussing her administrative detention and conditions of imprisonment with other women prisoners in Hasharon prison.
She noted that the questioning directed at her during interrogation was focused on her political and social activism, and her work as a member of the Palestinian Legislative Council. She also noted that the interrogators discussed her previous victory over an attempt to internally displace her to Jericho as a reason for her detention.
Khatib reported that Jarrar said that her arrest “has no legal justification and is politically motivated, violates the rights of an elected Palestinian parliamentarian, and violates all humanitarian and international principles and norms.”
She also highlighted the issue of the use of the “Bosta” – an armored metal van – to transport prisoners from prison to court, urging legal action to end the use of this process. She told Khatib that the transport process from HaSharon to Ofer military court takes 9 hours, beginning at 3 AM, and the prisoners are held the entire time in a closed, steel box, shackled to a chair and under the supervision of “Nachshon” special forces. In addition, Jarrar noted that the waiting room in Ofer prison is unbearably cold and that prisoners arrive in the military courts already exhausted and sick.
Jarrar thanked all the Palestinian, Arab and international lawyers, parliamentarians and activists campaigning for her release.
Follow news on the case of Khalida Jarrar at http://samidoun.net/khalidajarrar
Take Action to support Khalida Jarrar:
1. Click here: Send a message to the Israeli Occupation Forces and demand the immediate release of Khalida Jarrar.It is important that the occupation learns that Khalida has supporters around the world who will not be silent in the face of this injustice.
2. Sign the petition! Sign and share this petition, demanding freedom for Khalida Jarrar immediately.
3. Contact your Member of Parliament, Representative, or Member of European Parliament. The attack on Khalida is an attack on Palestinian parliamentary legitimacy and political expression. Parliamentarians have a responsibility to pressure Israel to cancel this order.
4. Send a letter to Khalida Jarrar – help support her and show her jailers that the world is with her!
5. Use the Campaign Resources to inform your community, parliamentarians and others about Khalida’s case.
6. Protest at the Israeli consulate or embassy for Khalida Jarrar. Bring posters and flyers about Khalida’s case and hold a protest, or join a protest with this important information. Hold a community event or discussion, or include Khalida’s case in your next event about Palestine and social justice.
7. Boycott, Divest and Sanction. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation. Learn more at bdsmovement.net.