As protesters, including political leaders, gathered outside the Ofer military court, the hearing to confirm the 6 month administrative detention order for imprisonment without charge or trial against Palestinian leftist leader, feminist and parliamentarian Khalida Jarrar was postponed for 6 days, until Tuesday, April 14. Take action and demand her immediate freedom:
A report from Addameer follows:
The Ofer Military Court judge determined today (Wednesday, 8 April 2015) to postpone the confirmation hearing for PLC member Khalida Jarrar’s administrative detention order until Tuesday, 14 April 2015.
According to Mrs. Jarrar’s legal counsel Adv. Mahmoud Hassan, the military prosecution presented the court with 34 pieces of “open evidence,” that had not been provided to the defense team prior to the confirmation hearing. For this reason, Mrs. Jarrar’s defense team requested six days to review the evidences and allegations against Mrs. Jarrar. It should be noted that only a portion of the file was released to the lawyers. Mrs. Jarrar is also detained under secret evidence that will never be revealed to the lawyers throughout the duration of her administrative detention.
According to Adv. Hassan, despite the presented evidence that is substantial to formally indict Mrs. Jarrar, the military prosecution did not charge her, and verbally stated that they do not intend to do so in order to guarantee she remain in detention. Thus far, the evidences presented against Mrs. Jarrar revolve around her activities as a political leader, including videos of her attending demonstrations. An indictment on such minor charges can potentially allow for her release on bail until the end of legal proceedings.
Addameer confirms that this is a politically motivated arrest which contravenes international law, specifically the Geneva Convention IV, and her rights under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
Khalida Jarrar (52 years old) was arrested Thursday, 02 April 2015 from her home in Ramallah at 1:30AM. The Military Commander issued a 6-month administrative detention order on Sunday, 05 April 2015.
Mrs. Jarrar is one of 14 Palestinian Legislative Council members that is currently imprisoned, of which eight are held under administrative detention orders without charge or trial based on secret evidences.
Addameer calls on all local diplomatic missions, representative offices, international organizations and human rights organizations to publicly denounce the detention of Palestinian elected officials. Addameer requests the presence of the above as observers of Mrs. Jarrar’s court hearing on Tuesday, 14 April 2015.
Now is the time to escalate action and pressure against the administrative detention of Khalida Jarrar and against the system of administrative detention, which imprisons Palestinian without charge or trial.
For ongoing updates on the case of Khalida Jarrar, please see http://samidoun.net/khalidajarrar
Take Action to support Khalida Jarrar:
1. Click here: Send a message to the Israeli Occupation Forces and demand the immediate release of Khalida Jarrar.It is important that the occupation learns that Khalida has supporters around the world who will not be silent in the face of this injustice.
2. Sign the petition! Sign and share this petition, demanding freedom for Khalida Jarrar immediately.
3. Contact your Member of Parliament, Representative, or Member of European Parliament. The attack on Khalida is an attack on Palestinian parliamentary legitimacy and political expression. Parliamentarians have a responsibility to pressure Israel to cancel this order.
4. Send a letter to Khalida Jarrar – help support her and show her jailers that the world is with her!
5. Use the Campaign Resources to inform your community, parliamentarians and others about Khalida’s case.
6. Protest at the Israeli consulate or embassy for Khalida Jarrar. Bring posters and flyers about Khalida’s case and hold a protest, or join a protest with this important information. Hold a community event or discussion, or include Khalida’s case in your next event about Palestine and social justice.
7. Boycott, Divest and Sanction. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation. Learn more at bdsmovement.net.