On 22 June, Palestinian leftist parliamentarian and political prisoners’ advocate Khalida Jarrar faced an Israeli military court, which postponed her next hearing indefinitely; her lawyers, with Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association – of which Jarrar is board Vice President – expect the next hearing in her case to be held in July. Take action – demand Khalida Jarrar’s release from administrative detention.
The hearing was attended by Jarrar’s daughters, Yafa and Suha, visiting their family from Canada, Ha’aretz reported, calling Jarrar “the most famous Palestinian prisoner in the world today.”
Jarrar, arrested on 2 April from her Ramallah home in a pre-dawn invasion by dozens of Israeli occupation soldiers, was initially held under administrative detention without charge or trial, and after the cancellation of that order on 4 May, currently faces an Israeli military court on 12 entirely political charges related to her advocacy for Palestinian political prisoners and activities as a member of the Palestinian Legislative Council. The charges against Jarrar include membership and leadership in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, the left wing Palestinian party Jarrar represents through the Abu Ali Mustafa bloc in the Palestinian Legislative Council. Other of the charges include advocating for the release of Palestinian political prisoners and speaking at public events.
Israeli military officials have already stated their intention to continue to imprison Jarrar while she is tried on these political charges by an Israeli military court. Israeli military courts convict 99.74% of the Palestinians who appear before them and in no way meet international standards for a fair trial. Palestinians can be charged for violating any Israeli military order, including for membership in or “services to” “prohibited organizations,” which include all major Palestinian political parties. “Services” can include attendance at public events or calling for freedom for imprisoned Palestinians.
On 21 May, a military judge ordered her release on bail, which was reversed on 28 May by another military judge. Instead, Jarrar remains detained indefinitely until the completion of her trial.
Khalida Jarrar is 52-years old and has been a Palestinian Legislative Council member since 2006. She also heads the subject of prisoner’s issues in the Palestinian Legislative Council, and is also deputy chairperson of the Board of Directors of Addameer.
Take Action to support Khalida Jarrar:
1. Click here: Send a message to the Israeli Occupation Forces and demand the immediate release of Khalida Jarrar.It is important that the occupation learns that Khalida has supporters around the world who will not be silent in the face of this injustice.
2. Sign the petition! Sign and share this petition, demanding freedom for Khalida Jarrar immediately.
3. Contact your Member of Parliament, Representative, or Member of European Parliament. The attack on Khalida is an attack on Palestinian parliamentary legitimacy and political expression. Parliamentarians have a responsibility to pressure Israel to cancel this order.
4. Send a letter to Khalida Jarrar – help support her and show her jailers that the world is with her!
5. Use the Campaign Resources to inform your community, parliamentarians and others about Khalida’s case.
6. Protest at the Israeli consulate or embassy for Khalida Jarrar. Bring posters and flyers about Khalida’s case and hold a protest, or join a protest with this important information. Hold a community event or discussion, or include Khalida’s case in your next event about Palestine and social justice.
7. Boycott, Divest and Sanction. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation. Learn more at bdsmovement.net.