The detention of Ahed and Nariman Tamimi was extended by the Ofer military court until Wednesday, 19 January in a hearing on Monday, reported Bassem Tamimi, Ahed’s father and Nariman’s husband, in a post on Facebook.
Defense attorney Gaby Lasky called for their immediate release while the prosecution demanded the extension of their detention for 101 days; the military court delayed its decision on their continued imprisonment throughout their military trial until Wednesday.
Bassem reported that Ahed and Nariman are frequently transported on the arduous, infamous “bosta” system but that they are kept in different vehicles at all times, and that Ahed’s “bosta” trips are taken with Israeli criminal prisoners who lob racist insults and threats at her. Ahed said that she is studying four classes from her school curriculum and has read two additional books outside the curriculum.
“Ahed asked us all to focus on every imprisoned woman and child and to work towards a campaign to highlight their cases,” Bassem said.
International campaigns to free Ahed and her fellow prisoners are continuing to put pressure on the Israeli occupation. Amnesty International issued a call for her release as the military court hearing took place; in addition, demonstrations on Monday and over the weekend in New York, Toulouse, Berlin, London, Brussels, Porto, Lisbon, Braga, Athens, Rome and elsewhere demanded her freedom. Protests are planned in the coming days in New York, Paris, Marseille, Copenhagen, Nimes, Lyon, Berlin, Arlington, Montevideo and elsewhere.
Video from New York City:
Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network denounces the arrest of Ahed Tamimi and Nariman Tamimi, the latest of well over 500 Palestinians arrested by Israeli occupation forces following U.S. President Donald Trump’s declaration of recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Approximately half of those detained, like Ahed, Abdul-Khalik Burnat and Fawzi al-Junaidi, are children. There are hundreds of Palestinian children jailed by Israel and frequently subject to beatings, abuse, and interrogations without parents or lawyers present in violation of the law. We urge people of conscience around the world to take action to demand freedom for Ahed and her fellow detained and jailed Palestinian children in occupation detention centers, interrogation centers and prisons – and for Nariman Tamimi and all detained and imprisoned Palestinians.
The resistance of the Palestinian people has never been quelled by arrests or repression, and it must be clear that we, around the world, stand alongside the Palestinian people as they defend Jerusalem and their entire land and people under attack. This includes standing with detained and jailed Palestinian prisoners in their struggle for liberation for themselves, their people, and their occupied homeland.
- For supporters in the US: Call your member of the House of Representatives to support H.R. 4391, the Promoting Human Rights by Ending Israeli Military Detention of Palestinian Children Act. Tell them specifically about Ahed’s arrest, and urge them to act for her release. Tell them to pressure Israel to free Ahed and other detained Palestinian kids. Call the House switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to speak to your Representative’s office. CODEPINK has an action to highlight this case specifically.
- Take action around the world: From 10 January to 20 January, there is an international week of action to contact local parliamentarians in each country and urge the freedom of Ahed Tamimi and her fellow Palestinian prisoners. Find our sample letters and contact addresses in multiple languages here!
- Call your nearest Israeli embassy and let them know that you know about the detention of Ahed Tamimi in Nabi Saleh and other Palestinian child prisoners. Demand Ahed, her mother Nariman, and the other detained children be immediately released. Contact infomation here: https://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-of/israel
- Sign the petition. Over 150,000 people have already signed on to demand freedom for Ahed: https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/free_ahed/?feiNukb
- Organize a protest for Ahed or join one of the many protests for Jerusalem and distribute this post and other news about Ahed and the Palestinian prisoners. Get others involved in the struggle for Palestinian freedom! Build the campaign for boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel and complicit corporations like HP and G4S.
- Write to Ahed and Nariman. While Zionist jailers frequently censor Palestinian prisoners’ mail, these letters can help bolster morale and even send a message to the jailers and censors themselves. Write to Ahed Tamimi or Nariman Tamimi (choose one and address your letter to one only) at: HaSharon prison
Ben Yehuda, P.O. Box 7
40 330 Israel