Register here for the People’s Hearing on Racism and Repression at CUNY & NYC as spaces are limited!
WHEN: Thursday, March 9, 6-9PM
WHERE: Proshansky Auditorium, Concourse Level CUNY Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Ave
We have an amazing list of co-sponsoring organizations (see below) as well as a fantastic line-up of speakers for the launch, including Suzanne Adely, Karanja Keita Carroll, Omawale Clay, Lawrence Johnson, Nerdeen Kiswani, Rachel Pincus, Conor Tomás Reed as well as speakers from DRUM, Anakbayan-Manhattan, Boriqua Resistance and more! Keep an eye out for our social media posts (@PeoplesCUNY Instagram and Twitter) for the full list of speakers and bios and please share widely!
The People’s Hearing seeks to build solidarity between our existing struggles, and germinate new forms of collaboration and mobilization to link the fight for a true People’s University with a fight for a People’s NYC. It develops out of organizing that took place in the summer of 2022 to challenge the sham NYC council Higher Education committee hearing that targeted successful Palestine liberation organizing across CUNY.
This launch event will bring together different groups from across CUNY and NYC to share and build on past and ongoing organizing efforts around combating systemic racism, the politics of austerity, gentrification, the multi-tier exploitative academic labor system, academic freedom attacks, surveillance, and policing across CUNY and NYC more broadly. We will make connections with liberation struggles in Palestine, Puerto Rico, Philippines, Haiti and elsewhere as well as build solidarity with abolition, reparations, decolonization/ landback, and anti-imperialist movements in New York and globally. The aim is to work towards a public hearing in the near future to stop CUNY and NYC administrations from perpetuating numerous forms of violence and hold them accountable to us. Collectively, we have the power to radically transform our public institutions such as CUNY and the broader communities in which they are embedded.
Let’s come together to build a People’s CUNY and a People’s NYC!
Please RSVP here: tinyurl.com/PCRSVPForm
View the full statement here: bit.ly/PCLaunchStatement
- Al Awda- New York
- Amazon Labor Union
- Anakbayan Manhattan
- Black Alliance for Peace (BAP) – NYC
- Black Latinx Faculty Staff Alliance, Queens College
- Brooklyn College Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP)
- Columbia Students for Justice in Palestine
- Critical Palestine Studies Association
- CUNY for Palestine
- CUNY Rank and File Action
- College of Staten Island SJP
- Desis Rising Up and Moving (DRUM)
- Jewish Law Students Association, CUNY Law
- Macaulay Peace Action
- National Lawyers Guild
- NY Boricua Resistance
- Palestine Solidarity Alliance
- Palestine Youth Movement (PYM)-NYC
- Prisoner Solidarity Network NYU A/P/A BRIDGE
- Reclaim the Commons, Graduate Center
- Students for Justice in Palestine, CUNY Law
- The Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas Studies, San Francisco State University Teaching Palestine: Pedagogical Praxis and the Indivisibility of Justice
- Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network
- Within Our Lifetime
- Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP)-NYC