Khalida Jarrar, Palestinian parliamentarian, prisoner advocate, and leftist leader, arrested early in the morning of April 2 by Israeli occupation forces, has been transferred from interrogation at Ofer prison to HaSharon prison, according to Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, of which she is the former executive director and current Board Vice President. The Addameer report:
UPDATE: Khalida Jarrar has been held in Ofer under investigation. Her investigation period has ended and she will be transferred to HaSharon prison. Her detention may be extended on Sunday. A military prosecutor will either submit charges, hold her under administrative detention, or release her. Khalida is in the Palestinian National Commission for the followup of the International Criminal Court. Follow for updates on Sunday to attend possible hearing.
Addameer also released a statement calling for her release:
Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association demanded the immediate release of the Vice President of its Board of Directors, deputy of the Palestinian Legislative Council, Khalida Jarrar, 52, and stated that the occupation assumes full responsibility for her life.
Over 30 occupation soldiers, accompanied by snipers, surrounded the home of MP Khalida Jarrar in Ramallah around 1:00 AM on Thursday morning, April 2, 2015, and then broke into her home and searched it, confiscating two computers and a mobile phone during the search, before arresting MP Jarrar and taking her to an unknown destination.
Addameer demanded that institutions of the international community pressure the occupation to immediately release MP Khalida Jarrar and stop the targeting of political leaders and rights activists in Palestinian society.
Addameer said that the arrest of MP Khalida Jarrar is part of a systematic policy practiced by the occupation forces against the political leadership of the Palestinian people, including continuous assassination and prosecution, in order to prevent them from playing their role in raising the consciousness, political and civil rights of Palestinian society, and to block their role in supporting the resistance of the Palestinian people against the occupation.
MP Jarrar suffers a difficult health status, and must have laboratory tests every three days to determine appropriate treatment to maintain her health and life. There are now 16 detainees who are members of the Palestinian Legislative Council, 8 of whom are held under administrative detention orders, 6 who are serving sentences, and 2 detained, including Jarrar.
MP Khalida Jarrar has been frequently harassed by occupation forces, including the order of deportation to Jericho on August 20, 2015, before the duration of the order was shortened about a month after its issuance after a sit-in by MP Jarrar at the Palestinian Legislative Council headquarters in rejection of the order. Israeli forces also issued a decree banning Khalida Jarrar from traveling since 1998 to the present day, even after her invitation to participate in the preparatory meetings of the Universal Declaration on the Protection of Human Rights Defenders in Paris.
Take Action to support Khalida Jarrar:
1. Click here: Send a message to the Israeli Occupation Forces and demand the immediate release of Khalida Jarrar. It is important that the occupation learns that Khalida has supporters around the world who will not be silent in the face of this injustice.
2. Sign the petition! Sign and share this petition, demanding freedom for Khalida Jarrar immediately.
3. Contact your Member of Parliament, Representative, or Member of European Parliament. The attack on Khalida is an attack on Palestinian parliamentary legitimacy and political expression. Parliamentarians have a responsibility to pressure Israel to cancel this order.
4. Use the Campaign Resources to inform your community, parliamentarians and others about Khalida’s case.
5. Protest at the Israeli consulate or embassy for Khalida Jarrar. Bring posters and flyers about Khalida’s case and hold a protest, or join a protest with this important information. Hold a community event or discussion, or include Khalida’s case in your next event about Palestine and social justice.
6. Boycott, Divest and Sanction. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation. Learn more at bdsmovement.net.