The military court hearing of Khalida Jarrar, the imprisoned Palestinian parliamentarian, leftist and feminist accused of 12 political charges, was postponed until 24 August at a hearing this morning, 10 August, at Ofer military court.
Once again, the military prosecution did not bring forward any witnesses or evidence and yet once again extended Jarrar’s imprisonment. A motion brought by Jarrar’s lawyers with Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association for her release on bail was also once again denied.
Khalida Jarrar’s next hearing is 24 August. Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network urges action and mobilization over the next two weeks to demand her freedom:
1. Click here: Send a message to the Israeli Occupation Forces and demand the immediate release of Khalida Jarrar.It is important that the occupation learns that Khalida has supporters around the world who will not be silent in the face of this injustice.
2. Sign the petition! Sign and share this petition, demanding freedom for Khalida Jarrar immediately.
3. Contact your Member of Parliament, Representative, or Member of European Parliament. The attack on Khalida is an attack on Palestinian parliamentary legitimacy and political expression. Parliamentarians have a responsibility to pressure Israel to cancel this order.
4. Send a letter to Khalida Jarrar – help support her and show her jailers that the world is with her!
5. Use the Campaign Resources to inform your community, parliamentarians and others about Khalida’s case.
6. Protest at the Israeli consulate or embassy for Khalida Jarrar. Bring posters and flyers about Khalida’s case and hold a protest, or join a protest with this important information. Hold a community event or discussion, or include Khalida’s case in your next event about Palestine and social justice.
7. Boycott, Divest and Sanction. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation. Learn more at bdsmovement.net.
I write today to demand the immediate release of Palestinian member of parliament Khalida Jarrar. Jarrar, a longtime prisoners’ rights activist and political leader, was arrested in her Ramallah home in the early morning hours of April 2, as her home was stormed by dozens of soldiers and her husband locked in another room. She has now been detained for over four months, and is being charged before a military court for engaging in political activity: speeches, attending events, calling for freedom for Palestinian prisoners.
The targeting of Palestinian political leaders for arrest by Israeli occupation forces is an obvious attempt to silence and suppress Palestinian demands for freedom from occupation and apartheid. The arrest of Khalida Jarrar is also an attack on Palestinian women’s leadership and organizing. Thousands of people and organizations around the world have demanded Jarrar’s release, and we reiterate that call for her to be released immediately.
The world is watching and we stand with Khalida against this injustice.