Palestinian parliamentarian, leftist and feminist Khalida Jarrar will face an Israeli military court on 12 political charges again on Monday, 10 August, at 9:30 am at Ofer Military Court. This hearing was postponed from 4 August when the military prosecution failed to present any of its evidence or witnesses to support its allegations. Take action to call for her immediate release.
In light of the repeated delays in the military court hearings, Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Organization – Jarrar’s lawyers, and the Palestinian prisoner legal support and advocacy organization of which she served as Executive Director for many years (she is currently a member of the Board of Directors) – has filed for her release on bail. Addameer writes:
“Addameer holds the Israeli occupation’s military prosecution liable for the delays in the court proceedings since adequate actions to bring the witnesses to court were not taken. A detention order which was issued against one of the witnesses was not implemented and the military prosecution further stalled the proceedings by failing to summon an alleged witness who is currently detained in the Israeli occupation’s prisons to take the stand.
Mrs. Jarrar’s court proceedings prove the arbitrary nature of the occupation’s military judicial system where Palestinians are being detained without a logical or legal justification. The main purpose of the detention is to keep the detainee held in the Israeli occupation prisons as long as possible, and to suppress political and social activists in the Palestinian society.
…The session on Monday 10th of August is scheduled to hear the alleged testimonies against Mrs. Jarrar in addition to reviewing Addameer’s request to release Mrs. Jarrar on bail in light of the delay in proceedings caused by the military prosecution’s negligence and their failure to provide any evidence or testimonies against Mrs. Jarrar who has been detained since April 2015… The failure of the Israeli occupation’s military prosecution to provide credible evidence and testimonies against Mrs. Jarrar is obstructing proceedings and prolonging her detention, rendering her detention arbitrary and violating her right to a fair trial as provided for under International Law.”
Addameer is urging journalists, writers, and human rights organizations in Palestine to attend Jarrar’s hearing Monday, as well as diplomatic representatives. Diplomats from South Africa and Switzerland attended the hearing on 4 August. If you are in Palestine and would like to attend, please email rafat (at) addameer.ps with a copy of your passport or ID.
International support from people and movements around the world is also very important to demand Khalida’s release. Please take action – see the items below.
Take action to support Khalida and demand her release!
1. Click here: Send a message to the Israeli Occupation Forces and demand the immediate release of Khalida Jarrar.It is important that the occupation learns that Khalida has supporters around the world who will not be silent in the face of this injustice.
2. Sign the petition! Sign and share this petition, demanding freedom for Khalida Jarrar immediately.
3. Contact your Member of Parliament, Representative, or Member of European Parliament. The attack on Khalida is an attack on Palestinian parliamentary legitimacy and political expression. Parliamentarians have a responsibility to pressure Israel to cancel this order.
4. Send a letter to Khalida Jarrar – help support her and show her jailers that the world is with her!
5. Use the Campaign Resources to inform your community, parliamentarians and others about Khalida’s case.
6. Protest at the Israeli consulate or embassy for Khalida Jarrar. Bring posters and flyers about Khalida’s case and hold a protest, or join a protest with this important information. Hold a community event or discussion, or include Khalida’s case in your next event about Palestine and social justice.
7. Boycott, Divest and Sanction. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation. Learn more at bdsmovement.net.
Letter Text – Sign on here:
To Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Brigadier General Dani Efroni:
I write today to demand the immediate release of Palestinian member of parliament Khalida Jarrar. Jarrar, a longtime prisoners’ rights activist and political leader, was arrested in her Ramallah home in the early morning hours of April 2, as her home was stormed by dozens of soldiers and her husband locked in another room. She has now been detained for over four months, and is being charged before a military court for engaging in political activity: speeches, attending events, calling for freedom for Palestinian prisoners.
The targeting of Palestinian political leaders for arrest by Israeli occupation forces is an obvious attempt to silence and suppress Palestinian demands for freedom from occupation and apartheid. The arrest of Khalida Jarrar is also an attack on Palestinian women’s leadership and organizing. Thousands of people and organizations around the world have demanded Jarrar’s release, and we reiterate that call for her to be released immediately.
The world is watching and we stand with Khalida against this injustice.