Palestinian hunger strikers attacked, transferred as they strike for freedom from administrative detention


Sami Janazrah, 43, has now been on hunger strike for 62 days in protest of his administrative detention without charge or trial. He is now held in Soroka hospital, where he was attacked by soldiers on Sunday after he protested the shackling of his hands and feet in bed.

He complained to medical staff regarding the attack on him by guards. He is refusing to consume vitamins or nutrients; the hospital’s “ethics committee” will convene for the first time today to discuss Janazrah’s case after he was returned to the hospital from solitary confinement.

He has lost 25 kg in weight (approximately 52 pounds), and reported to his lawyer from the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society that he has been visited by a number of representatives of the Israeli intelligence service (Shin Bet) in the past few days.

He has been detained under administrative detention without charge or trial since 15 November 2015; his detention has been renewed once. A Palestinian refugee from Iraq al-Manshiyya living in al-Fuwwar camp near al-Khalil, Janazrah is a married father of three and a previous prisoner in Israeli jails, arrested five times.

Fouad Assi and Adib Mafarjah have also been on hunger strike for 31 days in protest of their own detention without charge or trial. Assi, 30, and Mafarjah, 29, both from Beit Liqya near Ramallah, were transferred on Tuesday from isolation in Ella prison to Megiddo and Gilboa solitary confinement, respectively, reported the Palestinian Prisoners Society.

The PPS said that the transfer of prisoners during hunger strikes is a deliberate tactic of the Israeli prison administration in an attempt to pressure strikers to end their strikes.

Mansour Moqtada, who has been engaged in a partial open hunger strike for 23 days in a demand for improved health treatment and freedom for sick and severely ill prisoners, is facing a worsened health condition, his lawyer Fadi Obeidat said on Tuesday. Moqtada, who is consuming only liquids and is refusing medicine, uses a wheelchair after being severely injured during his arrest in 2002; he has an artificial stomach and uses catheter and colostomy bags. Moqtada, serving a 30-year sentence, is imprisoned permanently at the Ramle prison clinic.