Palestinian-American researcher Ubai Aboudi, executive director of the Bisan Center for Research and Development, was abducted from his home by Israeli occupation forces on 13 November, 2019 and put in detention without charge.
Ubai, who had been working with Scientists for Palestine to organize the Third International Meeting on Science in Palestine, which took place on 10-12 January, 2020 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was later transferred from “administrative detention” to an Israeli military court.
Today he faces trial on manufactured, baseless charges, which Israel routinely imposes on Palestinians under military occupation.
And despite Ubai’s United States citizenship, as well as the U.S. government’s $3.8 billion in annual military aid to Israel, the U.S. has largely left Ubai and Hind Shraydeh, his wife and the mother of their three children, to suffer alone.
On Monday, 1 June, take action to demand freedom for Ubai and 4,700 other Palestinian political prisoners.
- Ask your organization to endorse this call to action. Please use the form here – visit the link at https://bit.ly/action4ubai.
- Demand the U.S. government intercede for Ubai and his freedom. Call the U.S. State Department at (202) 647-4000, then, if you are a U.S. citizen or resident, find your Congressional representative here. Tell each of them:
- Israel is currently subjecting a U.S. citizen, Ubai Aboudi, to trial on manufactured political charges before a military court.
- Ubai was previously one of 400 Palestinians held under “administrative detention,” internment without charge or trial.
- Israel routinely subjects Palestinians in military detention to mistreatment, including torture.
- Israeli military courts convict Palestinian defendants at a rate of 99.76%.
- The U.S. government must immediately intercede to demand Ubai’s immediate and unconditional release.
- It must also impose meaningful sanctions for Israel’s crimes against 4,700 political prisoners and other Palestinians, including an immediate end to its $3.8 billion in annual military aid.
- Join a social media storm at 10:00 am Pacific time, 1:00 pm Eastern time, 5:00 pm Greenwich mean time, and 8:00 pm Palestine time. Share content about Ubai with the hashtag #Freedom4Ubai.
- Post pictures and videos of yourself and your organization demonstrating in solidarity with Ubai. Watch for signs to hold, or design and share your own! Use the hashtag #Freedom4Ubai to help others find them.
- Demonstrate publicly where local conditions and restrictions allow. If possible, organize a car caravan, protest or rally in a public area, then share photographs and footage of it online with the hashtag.
Resources on the Case of Ubai Aboudi
- Petition: Release Palestinian-American researcher Ubai Aboudi
- Call to action: Protect Palestinian-American researcher Ubai Aboudi from Israeli military detention
- Webinar highlights case of Ubai Aboudi, struggle of Palestinian prisoners
- Saving Palestinian prisoners’ lives requires releasing the elderly and sick
- EU funding criterion accused of ‘criminalising Palestinian resistance’
- Criminalizing Palestinian resistance: The EU’s additional condition on aid to Palestine
- Video: Scientists for Palestine conference hears message of Palestinian scholar, political prisoner Ubai Aboudi
- Science against all the odds: ‘Scientists for Palestine’ holds its third international conference
- Not a merry Christmas for Christian detainees in Israeli prisons
- When the Shin Bet rounds up Palestinians, Israeli media stops asking questions
- Addameer collects hard evidence on torture and ill-treatment committed against Palestinian detainees at Israeli interrogation centers
- “There is a hidden story behind every prisoner”
- U.S. citizen detained without charge or trial in Palestine
- Detention of director of the Bisan Center for Research and Development, Ubai Aboudi
- The administrative detention of Ubai Aboudi
- Palestinian American researcher held by Israel
- Israel holds a US scholar in administrative detention, as colleagues demand his release
- End the Israeli military detention of Ubai Aboudi
- NGO director in administrative detention: Ubai Aboudi
- For the immediate release of Mr. Ubai Aboudi
- Bisan Center for Research and Development condemns the transferal of its director Ubai Aboudi to administrative detention
- 2019-11-13 Bisan Center for Research and Development