The following call to action is being circulated by the campaign to support the Hares Boys – see the list of events around the world below:
This year, Sunday 15th March will mark 2 years since 5 teenage boys from the village of Hares, Palestine, were kidnapped from their homes, abused and violently interrogated, and locked in an Israeli prison. All for something they didn’t do.
It began on 14th March 2013, after a car accident resulting in some serious injuries for its passengers was allegedly caused by Palestinian youths throwing stones at the vehicle; except that there is no evidence to suggest that stone-throwing took place at all.
That same night, Israeli army stormed the villages of Hares and Kifl Hares and detained 19 Palestinian youths. Obtaining their “confessions” through interrogation and ill-treatment, some of these youths were eventually released. Five of them, however, are still incarcerated to this day. These are the Hares Boys.
Should the Israeli military courts get their way, the Hares Boys will face long years in prison for a “crime” that carries no evidence of their supposed guilt and which all the boys deny.
To mark the 2 years since the boys’ incarceration, we are calling on campaigners around the world to devise local actions aimed at raising the profile of the case of the Hares Boys and by doing so, put pressure on the Israeli occupation to respect the principles of justice and release these kids from prison.
We invite you to organise leafleting, vigils and protests, boycott actions, petitioning and letter-writing, talks and film screenings.
The on-going fight against Israeli military aggression and occupation is getting stronger with every new atrocity the apartheid state commits; it matters to vocalise opposition to the continuing injustices the Hares Boys – and, by extension, all Palestinian children in Israeli military prisons – face daily, in order to prevent these dangerous precedents from taking place at all.
Join the fight against oppression. Stand on the side of justice.
Events to Free the Hares Boys:
- London, March 13, 7:30 am, Houses of Parliament: https://www.facebook.com/events/1545993405649973/
- London, March 13, 3:00 pm, G4S Headquarters: https://www.facebook.com/events/1559978377612565/
- New York, March 13, 2:00 pm, Bryant Park: https://www.facebook.com/events/418073998352966/
- Montevideo, Uruguay, March 13, 8:00 pm, Facultad de Humanidades y Ciencias de la Educación (FHCE) Salón ROMERO: https://www.facebook.com/
- Barcelona, Catalonia (Spain), March 14, 8:00 pm, Location TBA: https://haresboys.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/latest-news/
- San Jose, Costa Rica, March 15, 2:00 pm, Plaza de la Cultura: https://www.facebook.com/events/400661190095156/
- Manchester, March 15, 1:00 pm, Piccadilly Gardens: https://www.facebook.com/events/359415240933896/
- Glasgow, March 15, 2:00 pm, Marks and Spencer Sauciehall Street: https://www.facebook.com/events/806926316048900/
- Puebla de Zaragoza, Mexico, March 16, 6:00 pm, Beppo Bazaar, 11 oriente no. 8, Puebla
- Cesena, Italy, March 17, 7:30 pm, Il Magazzino Parallelo, Via Genova 70: https://www.facebook.com/events/875058099218970/