As the Weeks of Action to Free Ahmad Sa’adat continue, organizers in a growing number of cities are highlighting the cases of Palestinian prisoners, particularly imprisoned Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine General Secretary Ahmad Sa’adat and Georges Ibrahim Abdallah, Arab communist struggler for Palestine imprisoned in France for over 35 years. The actions come as part of a call to action by the Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa’adat, Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network and other organizations.
On Saturday, 18 January, activists of the Red Help Zurich in Switzerland participated in the No World Economic Forum (No WEF) Demo 2020, marching against the global domination of capitalism and imperialism. Over 2,000 people joined in the march through Bern city center, which highlighted indigenous struggles in Latin America and the complicity of large banks, including Credit Suisse and UBS, in global crimes and the propagation of war. Marchers also highlighted gentrification, rising rents and real estate speculation inside the city as part of the global struggle against capitalism.
They ensured that Palestinian prisoners and the struggle in Palestine were represented at the march, carrying posters demanding freedom for Ahmad Sa’adat, Georges Abdallah and all Palestinian prisoners. The protests will continue as the WEF approaches, with ongoing protests in Lucerne, Winterthur, Landquart and a mass march on Wednesday in Zurich.
Anti-Imperialist Action Ireland comrades in Arklow County Wicklow, Ireland, held a commemoration at the site of the first battle of the United Irishmen in Arklow during the 1798 uprising, expressing their solidarity with Ahmad Sa’adat and Palestinian strugglers today. “From Ireland to Palestine, one struggle against Imperialism!” they concluded.
In Toulouse, Collectif Palestine Vaincra, a member of the Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network, continued its activities for the Weeks of Action one day after a successful Palestine stand in the city center. They put up posters and signs calling for freedom for Ahmad Sa’adat and Georges Ibrahim Abdallah in the Bagatelle district, highlighting the call for the boycott of Israel.
Further activities are being organized for the Week of Action, including events in Gothenburg, Brussels, Paris, Vancouver, Ann Arbor and more. To add your own event, use this form or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know – whether you’re including this campaign in a larger action or organizing your own action, we want to make sure to spread the word!
Actions for the 15-22 January Call to Free Ahmad Sa’adat and all Palestinian Prisoners
Please let us know about your events! Use this form or email email@example.com. Let us know – whether you’re including this campaign in a larger action or organizing your own action, we want to make sure to spread the word!
- Toulouse, France – Saturday, 18 January. Stand Palestine: Freedom for Ahmad Sa’adat! 11:00 am, Metro Capitole, Toulouse. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/2789999011064518/
- Brussels, Belgium – Sunday, 19 January. Demonstration for Lebanon and Palestine 6:00 pm, Franklin Rooseveltlaan 101, Brussels. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1467621210028698/
- Gothenburg, Sweden – Monday, 20 January. Solidarity Night for Ahmad Sa’adat 6:00 pm, Syndikalistiskt Forum, Linnegatan 21, Gothenburg. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/782847918898925/
- Vienna, Austria – Wednesday, 22 January. Demonstration: Boycotting Apartheid is a Democratic Right! This is a large, collective demonstration in which many organizations will be participating to defend the BDS movement against attempted criminalization in Austria. Samidoun supports this effort and urges all to participate. 4:30 pm, Stephansplatz, Vienna. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/3073423182691843/
- Ann Arbor, Michigan – Saturday and Sunday, 25 and 26 January. Youth for Palestine Conference This conference is organized by Midwest SJP and the Palestinian Youth Movement. Samidoun members will be attending and presenting here and we encourage all to join. University of Michigan -Ann Arbor More info: https://www.youth4palestine.com/
- Global cities – Saturday, 25 January. Global call: No war on Iran! Check the list of events for an action in your city.
- Paris, France – Sunday, 26 January. Freedom for Ahmad Sa’adat and Georges Abdallah! 3:00 pm, Place de la Republique, Paris. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/319279442282196/
- Vancouver, BC, Canada – Tuesday, 28 January. Freedom for Ahmad Sa’adat – Freedom for Palestine 7:00 pm, Centre for Socialist Education, 706 Clark Drive, Vancouver. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/591115181622292/
We urge all supporters of Palestine and defenders of freedom for the Palestinian people to join us between 15 and 29 January 2020 in weeks of action to free Ahmad Sa’adat and all Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails.